In 1941, the United States enters World War II. Five Texas City plants produce critical materials needed for war, including high octane aviation fuel, styrene and synthetic rubber. Population rises quickly. H.B. Moore is instrumental in getting land donated for Bay Street Park. After World War II ends in 1945, labor strikes hit Texas City plants. In April 1947, fires and explosions on ships in port cause catastrophic loss of life and extensive property damage. Texas City immediately begins to rebuild with the help of organizations and individuals worldwide. In the later part of this decade, Texas City begins concerted annexation efforts, increasing the size of the city significantly.
1950 population: 16,620 people