Texas City's industrial capacity as a heavily trafficked port and refinery center is widely known today. But only a century ago, the port area was still largely undeveloped farmland. It wasn't until 1891 that a consortium of businessmen from Duluth, Minn., — namely the Myers brothers and Augustus B. Wolvin — decided to invest in the town, purchasing approximately 10,000 acres for the purpose of developing a port (Benham, 1987). The region's natural harbor and access to railroad portals to the north and further west provided a perfect habitat for a potential shipping port and refining center. Managing the initial venture was Frank Davison, a friend of the Minnesota investors who became postmaster of the first Texas City post office and served on the board of directors of its first bank and several other civil organizations during the 1890s (Price, 1945). Soon the Texas City Improvement Company, a corporation that eventually became an industry that would ultimately lead to the formation of the Texas City Transportation Company and later the Texas City Terminal Company, established itself in the area. It wasn't long before the city was well on its way to becoming a major industrial port and distribution center (Oakes, 1908).