Texas City Oil and Chemical Companies


OIL COMPANIES

1908: Texas City Refining Company

  • 1909: bought by Waters-Pierce Oil Co.
  • 1909: bought by S.W. Fordyce
  • 1910: Fordyce & H. Clay Pierce formed Pierce Fordyce Oil Ass'n, named the plant Pierce-Fordyce Oil Co.
  • 1917: renamed Pierce Oil Corp.
  • 1924: renamed Pierce Petroleum Corp.
  • 1929: Pierce Petroleum Refinery shut down
  • 1930: refinery bought by Sinclair Consolidated Oil Corp. (but not put into production)
  • 1936: refinery bought by Southport Petroleum (in production again)
  • 1941: renamed American-Liberty Oil Co.
  • 1942: Defense Plant Corp. (DPC) units built
  • 1944: refinery in production: operated by Southport (American Liberty Oil Co.)
  • 1947: part of the land and facilities bought by Sid Richardson
  • 1947: remainder (the Avgas facilities) bought by Petrol Refining Inc.
  • 1949: refinery shut down
  • 1951: renamed Texas City Refining Inc.
  • 1960: bought Sid Richardson refinery and terminal property
  • 1964: one of Texas City Refining Inc. owners, the Grange League Federation, merged with Eastern States Farmers Exchange Inc. to become Agway
  • 1965: Agway merged with another of Texas City Refining Inc.'s owners, the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau, leaving Agway and the Southern States Cooperative (SSC) as owners
  • 1988: Phibro Refining-Texas City Inc. bought refinery and terminal assets from Agway and the SSC
  • 1992: renamed Phibro Energy USA, Inc.
  • 1996: renamed Basis Petroleum, Inc.
  • 1997: bought by Valero Energy Corporation

1922: Terminal Oil and Refining Co.

  • 1930: Terminal Oil and Refining Co. shut down
  • 1930: refinery bought by Atlantic Pipe Line Co.
  • 1930: refinery bought by Stone brothers of Houston, became Stone Oil Co.
  • 1948: bought by Pan American Refining Co.

1923: Knox Process Corp.

  • 1924: built refinery
  • 1926: renamed Petroleum Conversion Corp.
  • 1930: went into receivership

1931: Republic Oil Refining Co.

  • 1944: DPC units built and operating
  • 1957: bought by Plymouth Oil Co.
  • 1962: bought by Marathon Oil Co.
  • 1982: Marathon Oil bought by US Steel
  • 1991: US Steel renamed USX Corp.
  • 2001: USX restructuring, creating USX-Marathon Group and USX-US Steel Group

1933 Pan American Refining Corp.

  • 1954 renamed American Oil Co.
  • 1985 Standard Oil of Indiana renamed Amoco Corp.
  • 1998 Amoco Corp. merges with BP, becomes BP Amoco plc (public limited company)
  • 2001 BP Amoco plc renamed BP plc

1934: Seaboard Oil Co.

  • 1938: refinery shut down

CHEMICAL COMPANIES

1936: (?) Union Chemical & Mineral Co.

  • 1939: (?) plant closed

1941: Carbide & Carbon Chemicals Corp.'s (subsidiary of Union Carbide & Carbon Corp.) Texas City plant operating

  • 1957: Union Carbide & Carbon Corp. renamed Union Carbide Corp.
  • 2001: Union Carbide Corp. bought by Dow Chemical Co.

1942: Monsanto Chemical Co.'s Texas City plant operating

  • 1964: Monsanto Chemical Co. renamed Monsanto Co.
  • 1986: Monsanto's Texas City plant bought by Sterling Group Inc. Sterling Group Inc. creates Sterling Chemicals Inc. to operate the plant
  • 2001: Sterling Chemicals Inc. files for bankruptcy.
  • 2002: Resurgence Asset Management, LLC $60 million equity investment in Sterling Chemicals Inc for holdings of 87 percent

1953: Texas City Chemicals Inc. builds phosphate fertilizer plant

  • 1956: Texas City Chemicals Inc files for bankruptcy
  • 1957: bought by Smith-Douglas Co.
  • 1964: Smith-Douglas merges with Borden, Inc.
  • 1977: facilities sold to American Oil Co.
  • 1985: American Oil Co. (Standard Oil of Indiana) renamed Amoco Corp.
  • 1998: Amoco Corp. merges with BP, becomes BP Amoco plc (public limited company)
  • 1998: BP Amoco Chemical Co. operating plant

1968: General Aniline & Film Corp.'s plant operating

  • 1996: shut down (?)

1965: International Minerals & Chemical Corp.

References for chemical companies
References for oil companies