Skip Navigation
Texas City History
Navigation
arrow

1911-1920

arrow
In 1911, Texas City holds the first city elections and is incorporated with a mayor/commissioner form of governance. The Texas City Board of Trade is started. Texas City Civic Club begins. The Texas City Dike is completed. A U.S. Army camp containing the headquarters of the 6th Brigade and the 1st Aero Squadron is established in Texas City as a precautionary defense for possible war with Mexico. This causes the young city to grow very rapidly for about two years. In 1915 another hurricane destroys the Army camp and the camp is closed, causing an immediate and very severe economic downturn.

1920 population: 2,509 people
  • A bird's eye view of Texas City warehouses and track lines in 1911

  • A bird's eye view of industrial plants and free sites for manufacturers in 1912

  • A partial view of the town of Texas City in 1913

  • An aerial view of the port at Texas City

  • The Army on the move, on horseback

  • Engineer's camp at Texas City in 1913

  • The 2nd Field Hospital at Texas City in 1913

  • Early port scene at Texas City

  • Wagon train in Texas City

    • A panorama view of the early aeroplanes

    • An aerial panorama of the Army camp in Texas City

    • A bird's eye view of entire Army mobilization camp in Texas City

    • A view of the camp of the 6th Brigade

    • Army wagons on rail flatcars at the Texas city depot in 1913

    • Board of Trade, Texas City, in 1911

    • Coal ship Davis Coal and Coke Co. dock in 1912

    • A large cotton press at Texas City

    • At the docks in Texas City

    • At the Texas City docks (undated photograph)

    • In front of the Gonne Company in early Texas City

    • The Texas City grain elevator in 1911

    • After the 1915 hurricane in Texas City

    • After the 1915 hurricane in Texas City

    • The Ice House in Texas City

    • Kohfeldt School in Texas City

    • A view of the Main Street, looking south from 10th Avenue
      (June 13, 1913)

    • Col. Hugh B. Moore in his office in 1915

    • S.S. Pawnee in port

    • The first post office at Texas City

    • Bulk sulphur for Texas Gulf Sulphur Co., 1919

    • The telegram to K.R. Guthrie on completion of the Texas City channel deepening in 1914

    • The Texas City Railway Terminal

    • Texas City trolley service

    • In the warehouse at Texas City

    • Inside Warehouse No. 3 on the Texas City docks about 1911. The products shown are rolls of wire and lugs of nails.

    • Steel and wire products at steel and concrete Warehouse B in Texas City

    • Texas City juniors outside of Wolvin School

    • Voting card, Helen Moore, June 29, 1918

    • Col. Hugh B. Moore in uniform and Helen Moore in front of a house

    • Helen Moore and Hugh Benton Moore 1919

    • Portrait of Col. Hugh B. Moore in military uniform

    • Aug. 16, 1915 newspaper article (source not identified) after a damaging hurricane

    • Tarpey election poster in 1911

    • Wedell's Corner historical marker

arrow
arrow

© {{YEAR}} Moore Memorial Public Library

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM