Skip Navigation
Texas City History
Navigation
arrow

1941-1950

arrow
In 1941, the United States enters World War II. Five Texas City plants produce critical materials needed for war, including high octane aviation fuel, styrene and synthetic rubber. Population rises quickly. H.B. Moore is instrumental in getting land donated for Bay Street Park. After World War II ends in 1945, labor strikes hit Texas City plants. In April 1947, fires and explosions on ships in port cause catastrophic loss of life and extensive property damage. Texas City immediately begins to rebuild with the help of organizations and individuals worldwide. In the later part of this decade, Texas City begins concerted annexation efforts, increasing the size of the city significantly.

1950 population: 16,620 people
  • Aerial view of refinery structures, storage tanks, and port facilities after the 1947 Texas City Disaster

  • Texas City Stingaree basketball team: 1949 State Champions

  • Construction of No. 1 Alky Unit and No. 1 "Cat Cracker" at Pan American in 1943

  • Receiving a check for disaster relief after the 1947 Texas City Explosion

  • Taking fingerprints at Pan American on Jan. 1941

  • The Texas City post office

  • The Showboat Theatre at night

  • Sixth Street in Texas City

  • Christmas card from Texas City Terminal Railway Co.

  • Kilgore's Grocery after the 1943 hurricane (July 29, 1943)

    • An aerial view of the port area after the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • Aerial view of the port after the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • Inspecting the damage after the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • Preparing for the mass funeral service for victims of the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • The Lucas Cafe after the 1943 hurricane. Wolvin School is visible in the center rear of the photo. (July 29, 1943)

    • Historical marker at Memorial Cemetary

    • Aerial view of the port facilities and the grain elevator after the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • Looking toward the port from the Post Office after the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • Rescue workers take a break after the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • Rabbi Louis Feigon speaking at the mass burial services for victims of the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • Aerial view of refinery and port facilities before the 1947 Texas City Disaster

    • Kilgore's Grocery after the 1943 hurricane (July 29, 1943)

    • The Lucas Cafe after the 1943 hurricane. Wolvin School is visible in the center rear of the photo. (July 29, 1943)

    • The Old Southern Hotel after the 1943 hurricane (July 29, 1943)

    • Texas City Auxiliary Unit, American Red Cross
      Co-chairwoman Helen Moore (far right) with Red Cross volunteers (1942)

    • Blackout regulations notice, Texas City Civilian Defense

    • Service member honor roll

    • Honor Roll board at Pan American

    • Pan American War Bond rally

    • Pan American No. 1 Catalytic Cracking Unit Dedication on March 9, 1944

    • Old City Hall, the 500 block of Sixth Street
      (photo by Johnny Mitchell, courtesy of Al Mitchell)

    • City Hall crowd (photo by Johnny Mitchell, courtesy of Al Mitchell)

    • Patrons reading in the Texas City Library

    • Patrons checking out books at the Texas City Library

    • Looking northeast over Pan American Oil (Oct. 14, 1945)

    • Near the post office and the Showboat Theater in Texas City

    • Reading club members at the Texas City Library in July 1950

    • The Showboat Theatre (street view)

    • Early Showboat Theatre (street view)

    • Opening day at the Showboat Theatre (April 26, 1949)

    • Opening night marquee at the Showboat Theatre (April 26, 1949)

    • Story Hour group at the Texas City Library 1950

    • Booker T. Washington School Faculty, 1948

arrow
arrow

© {{YEAR}} Moore Memorial Public Library

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM